In the last three blog posts, I’ve shared some tips on how to deliver excellent customer service. I call it the Three C’s of Customer Service: Clarity, Character and Cultivate.
All good stuff, but what about you? How do you deliver superb customer service, day after day, and keep your sanity in the process? How do you take care of yourself?
Well, here are some thoughts to get you through the craziness of your day:
- Frame your favorite quote and put it in full view so you can see it every day. Choose one that actually calms your nerves and puts a smile on your face. Mine is pictured here in this post.
- Challenge yourself, or your teammates, to post a “thought of the day.” Maybe a joke, another quote, or something funny that your team can relate to. If doing this every day is a bit too often, try once a week. Pretty soon, people will begin to look forward to it.
- Hang up your favorite picture. Maybe it’s a photograph of someplace you’ve traveled to, or someplace you want to travel as soon as you get that next vacation. It could be something you accomplished that you are very proud of. The important thing is that it shifts your mood to a calmer place.
- Do something that makes you feel good before you leave for work – like pet your dog or go for a walk or hug your kid.
- Bring a mirror to work, hold it up, look into it and smile. Even when you force a smile and it feels unnatural, it still sends the message to your brain that life is good. It helps to relieve stress and keeps depression at bay.
Take some time to experiment with these five suggestions, then practice the ones that resonate most with you. The key is to start with at least one. Some may sound a little hokey, but you never know until you try. It just may make you feel better.