Take a minute right now, this very moment, and jot down everything you would like to accomplish by the end of the day. Use paper and pen, your phone, or any other technique you use to keep track of your lists.
Don’t read any further in this blog until you’ve completed this.
OK, now that you’re back – Is your list completed? Take a good look at it. What is so important that it made your “to do” list today? As I look at mine, I have things like:
- Pick up clothes from the cleaners
- Finish speech for upcoming conference
- Make reservations through Spot Hero for Chicago trip
- Spend one hour today marketing to new clients
- Clean the house
As I review my list, I notice that there’s nothing really earth shattering on it. Nothing that’s going to make a real difference in anyone’s life. It’s all about things!
So I’ve decided to trade in my “to do” list for a “hope for” list. I’m going to add things I “hope” to accomplish by the end of the day, like:
- Share a smile with someone today
- Send a card to a friend for no reason at all
- Make someone laugh
These aren’t things I HAVE to do, just some ideas to bring more joy into the world.
What about you? Do you have any other ideas for a “hope for” list?